Ulverston BID - update
Ulverston Business Improvement District has now been running for a year and grows in confidence. We have had some changes to the BID board but we have a stable core group which is committed to spending the money collected by the BID levy prudently to get the best benefit for Ulverston.
Ulverston BID has supported a number of local initiatives and we will do even more during 2017. So far BID activity includes:
- New Christmas Lights for Ulverston - to replace previous lights condemned as unsafe .
- Summer Saturdays’ reduction in parking charges to encourage people to stay longer in the town
- Buying new planters for the town centre – in partnership with Ulverston in Bloom. Since the end of the financial period, the BID has purchased a water bowser for regular watering by volunteers.
- Supporting events such as ‘Another Fine Fest’ to ensure they take place and grow.
- Funding advertising in magazines, and the distribution of leaflets in motorway services to attract visitors to Ulverston from outside the area.
- Jointly funding a new marketing officer to build up the indoor and outdoor markets and boost events at the Coronation Hall - in partnership with Ulverston Community Enterprises
LED lighting for the Hoad Monument - changing colour for special occasions.
For 2016-2017 major priorities will be:
- Marketing the town more effectively to local people and also those outside the area.
- Improving Ulverston’s on-line presence and promotion with a new web site. Keen to project local companies and assist in promoting businesses beyond the town centre.
- Reduced cost for short stay parking in the town - exploring how to achieve this.
- Developing a loyalty scheme to encourage more people to use the town’s shops and services – not simply the town centre but across Ulverston
Most of all we want to connect more effectively with businesses in the town to get your ideas on how the money collected should be spent to benefit Ulverston.
Current board members
Large business: Trevor Thistlethwaite - Siemens; Jacqui McCloy - Tritech; Mark MacIntosh - Forge Europa
Small business: Anita Garnett - Ulverston Brewing Co; Chris Nelson - Trafalgar PR
Retailers: Gavin Knott - Appleseeds; Michelle Scrogham - Pure
Hospitality: Roger Chattaway - Farmer's Arms; Jan Hancock - TownHouse B&B; Sam Iskinazi - Fourpence Cafe;
Charities & Schools: Richard Butler - Ulverston Victoria High School, Janet Heffernan - Sir John Barrow Primary School
Be part of the BID - this is our chance to make Ulverston better than ever!